FAI BOD MINUTES: OCTOBER 2014

MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
OF THE MEMBERS OF FLASHPOINT ARTISTS INITIATIVE, INC.
The regular meeting of the Directors of FLASHPOINT ARTISTS INITIATIVE, INC. was held at 1:30 p.m. on October 18th, 2014, as a scheduled meeting by general consent of the board instead of the registered office of the corporation, pursuant to the bylaws of the corporation and by notice given to the community through all normal channels.
The following Directors were present: David, Dusty, Sunshine, Jessica, Tareq

The following acted as secretary for the meeting: David
The reading of the minutes of the last regular meeting was waived as they had been presented for review online.  The minutes were approved as presented by consensus after a motion from the chair, seconded by Dusty.  The minutes for the Alchemy meeting will be submitted to the board for review by November.

In notice to the community, the Board submits this record of Business taken in session by the Board since the previous meeting:

  1. Approved expenditures for Census

The following old business was discussed:

  1. Regional Status - next steps in response to BM

  2. Overdue Minutes

  3. Board Secretary - set up application for individuals showing interest and move forward with selection process

  4. New Venue Committee - Approval of committee pending community announcement

  5. Insurance Update - high-risk policies are all we have available

  6. Public Works Committee - Will need to invest in new batteries for the events, need new lights for Lighters of the Loo, Lamplighters need more lamps to replace missing lamps

  7. Event Committee Updates -

  • Build was well attended

  • Structural issue with effigy revealed on Monday but redesign fixed it, special thank you too all of the volunteers who worked hard all week

  • Early entry had about 600 passes issued, and 341 actual arrived - need additional formal volunteers on Wednesday for next time, no amplified sound on Wed

  • The early entry system was a success!

  • ELT worked well, only a few noise complaints, few medical issues

  • On Saturday night, one vehicle on site hit vehicles in parking lot, was pursued by security, but drove off-site. Police were engaged, a board statement needs to be made about the accident.

  • More details of the event’s successes and challenges will be listed on the event report

  • Currently working on completing the Burning Man 30-day report

  1. Communications & Community Outreach Committee Updates

  • Last Alchemist was done by the committee

  • Putting together another Alchemist with recap+photos, as well as outreach to the community (Care Mission, Flucks Off, Little 5 Points Halloween Parade)

  • Next steps: working on year-round education; branding assets; improving leadership onboarding process

  1. Tech Ops Committee Updates - kickoff meeting set for Tuesday, 10/21, will begin website redesign soon

  2. Container Investigation - writeup will be submitted by Dusty

  3. Board Retreat - set transition meeting timeline, will include current board and new board, in January/February

  4. FAI Website - Jessica is working with front-end and graphic design to develop new branding, Sunshine will work with TechOps on the back end

  5. Email Systems (for sending The Alchemist) - review options - Jessica will submit a report

  6. Document Storage Options (Online Doc Vaulting) - suitable systems pending review; Ash and Tareq working on a sharable file for event leadership; expanding for SOPs, manuals, etc;

  7. New Storage Unit Location - want to look for new location, pending post-event review.

The following new business was brought before the board:

  1. Security Issues at Alchemy - security company pursuing Saturday night issues outside org, EC will gather info on all actual reports made to police department, Board advisory to be drafted on filing with the police.

    1. Dusty moves to a vote; seconded Jessica - is it the will of the Board to press charges concerning Criminal Trespass after review with Counsel? Pass by consensus.

Move to Executive Session.
Return from Executive Session.

  1. Election Scheduling & Selection of New Events Committee - Callout dates

    1. Callout for EC and Board by Oct 27th

    2. Closing by Nov 17th

    3. Election start 18th-to 24th of Nov (probably 22nd)

    4. Town hall 22 or 23 November, TBD, probably at C4.

    5. Announce by November 24th for EC

    6. Election to BOD on December 5th, Announce Immediate

  2. 501c3 Status

    1. Motion - It the will of the board to research Filing for 501c3 Status; Motion by Jessica, Seconded by Dusty; passed by consensus.

    2. Jessica will present a report to the board on the process of filing for 501c3 status.

  3. Community Art Grant Program - tabled until later meeting

  4. ELT/Board Event Debrief - handled under old business, Tareq will set a date for the meeting

  5. Bank Statement - As of 10/18/2014

    1. Org - 25,899.55

    2. Event - 67,607.47

    3. APW - 2,116.39

The board generated the following ACTION ITEMS

Callouts for EC - Tareq
Callouts for Board Election - Jessica
Tech Ops Committee Meeting - Sunshine
Communication concerning Alchemist submissions and publication - Jessica
Tech Ops to work out voting system - Sunshine
Flashpoint Letterhead design - Jessica
Poke APW about physical storage - Dusty
Alchemy Incident Statement - Jessica
New Venue Committee - Dusty
Secretary Application - Jessica
501c3 research - Jessica
Put all dates on the website calendar - Sunshine

The board confirmed the upcoming meeting:

November 15, Saturday meeting 1pm at Jessica’s House.

Motion to Adjourn, 3:40 pm, seconded by Sunshine- passed by consensus

December 13th
Times: 1 o’clock sat. 3o’clock sun (unless rescheduled, usually later)